Recently I had a SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 up gradation, after the installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Sp2, the SQL Server service wouldn’t start. I had gone through the Windows Event Log, and I found an error
FCB::Open failed: Could not open file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\mssqlsystemresource.mdf for file number 1. OS error: 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
- I had gone through the mentioned directory and I didn’t see any mssqlsystemresource.mdf data file.
- I had confirmed that there is no such data file available in the drives.
- I had copied mssqlsystemresource.mdf and ldf file from another SQL Server from the below location
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Template
- Paste the mssqlsystemresource.mdf and ldf into the affected server in the mentioned location
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\
- Then I restart the SQL Server service and it worked fine.
But When I tried to login into server, I got an another error
Login failed for user SQLTEST\AgentService. Reason: Server is in script upgrade mode. Only administrator can connect at this time.[SQLState 42000]”
Manually start the SQL Server agent after you perform the upgrade.