SQL Server 2016 CTP has been released by Microsoft. SQL Server 2016 comes with In- Memory enhancements and Advance Analytics. The couple of enhancements for SQL Server are related to performance, security upgrades and scalability. You will get more information about the new version from the datasheet.
You can download SQL Server 2016 Datasheet from here.
You can also download SQL Server 2016 CTP Version from below link.
- Analyze the disk space in the target server.
- Confirm the data and log file location in the target server.
- Collect the information about database properties
- Collect the information about the application dependencies
- Collect information about the logins and & users
- Check the database for Orphan users
- Check the SQL Server for dependent objects (SQL jobs , Linked Servers)
- Check the Maintenance Plan for the database
Database Migration Checklist:
- Stop the application services
- Change the database to read-only mode (Optional)
- Take the latest backup of all the databases involved in migration
- Restore the databases on the target server on the appropriate drives
- Cross check the database properties as per the database property script output, change the database properties as per the pre migration- checklist
- Execute the output of Login transfer script on the target server, to create logins on the target server
- Check for Orphan Users and Fix Orphan Users
- Execute DBCC UPDATEUSAGE on the restored database.
- Rebuild Indexes (Optional) as per the requirement and time window you can execute this option.
- Update Index statistics
- Re-compile Procedures
- Start the application services, check the application functionality and check the Windows event logs.
- Check the SQL Server Error Log for login failures and other errors
Involves increasing the capacity of the current hardware to more powerful hardware.
Scaling Out involves increasing the capacity by deploying additional servers. For ex peer to peer replication.